Tuesday, June 16, 2009

4F=Fishing, Food, Family and Fun



I know that I promised not to do this again but I can’t help myself.

My oldest daughter, her husband and four children came down to the cabin for ten days. It has been my duty to make daily trips down there to deliver items needed and pick up garbage and dirty clothes. We have done this every year for the last five years.

We have a grandfather, father and grandson fishing contest every year that I engrave an award plaques for. The winner receives the plaque with everyone’s name and standing engraved on it. I have never won the fishing contest. I almost did last year until my grandson came up and said that Daddy had given him his count so that put him over mine.

I’m required to fish 2-6 hours every day to make sure that everyone gets a chance to fish with Poppa. (That’s another alias that I use.) Needless to say, a good time is had by all. This year my other two grandchildren are also visiting. The picture you see is of Zoe’s (9 yrs old) catch of an 16" catfish on a child’s Barbie rod and reel. This was her first time fishing. I’m sure that she’s hooked for good.

The weather has been about as nice as you could ask for, warm but not hot with little or no breeze. There haven’t been very many bugs at all. The water temperature is still cool so you have to really work to get the bass to bite. We have been averaging 5-6 fish each for a couple hours of fishing in the evening. The largest was 16-17" with most in the 12-15" range. Whenever someone catches one less than 10" they receive a hard time from everyone.

We have been grilling outdoors and we have had plenty of side dishes and deserts. The food, fishing and family have made the last week one of the best ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment